Thursday, October 31, 2013

Color in the kitchen

I have one of those amazing recessed sockets in my kitchen.  Great if you need a clock.  But I don't.  So I wanted to cover it up.  I also needed something with some height, but there isn't enough room for another shelf.  
I had a canvas that would fit there perfectly.  I wanted some color but not an actual picture that should really be hung close to eye level to see details.  I pin art whenever I see something I like and this one in particular has been all over pinterest.
Decor Pad
It's actually digitally done, but I LOVE those colors.  I looked around for some tutorials for ideas.  There are a lot out there.  Basically they are all the same. 

Paint your canvas:  I actually really liked this one as is and had a hard time putting the tape on it.  You can't see it in this pic but there is actually some sparkly gold going on!

Find the width of painters tape you like and cut strips to the length you want.  I used edge lock duck tape (just shy of 1" thick) and cut 4" long strips on a measured craft mat.  

The rest you do by "eyeballing" it.  Pretty technical I know.  However, I will admit I had to start over three times until I found a way to start my pattern.  My perfect pattern was started with a triangle (point up) in the exact middle of the canvas.
I laid them all out and then peeled off a few random ones.
Instead of white, I used a really light turquoise.  It's my black.  Every room should have a little in it!  I did two layers:

I then used my exact o knife to pull up the tape that was left on there. VERY CAREFULLY.
And here it is in it's final resting place.  I still haven't hung it.  It's propped up.  I still may raise it up a little bit,but that is low on the list.

It wasn't brain surgery but there was lots of drying time involved & it didn't cost a penny (at some point it did but that was so long ago) but a certain best friend is begging me to make one for her...I'm sure I'll do it..because I love anything that takes me away from housework her!

2 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! I love it up there on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alyson! It was fun! I was done with the fireplace but.....it was no bueno ;)

    ReplyDelete