Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pinch Pleat Curtains

It almost took me as long to write this post as it did to complete these curtains. But they are done and I LOVE them! I found this fabric
It's called Loop de Loop by Duralee in smoke. I bought it while on vacation. I was at one of those huge "pottery" type stores that sell EVERYTHING. It was cheap cheap, I can't remember exact per yard (it was January 2011!) but I'm going to guess it had to be around $10. The only reason I think it was so cheap, is because days before we had gotten an offer on our house and were moving, but we didn't have a new house. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but I bought enough to at least make four plus panels (figuring 8ft ceilings). I would never have spent more than that!

We closed on this house Sept 1, 2011, and I was 6 mo pregnant chasing 2 preschool boys. I had no idea what I was going to do in any of the rooms (except the boys and the nursery) and was too tired to care. Fast forward to December 2012 and I finally decided I was going to use that fabric to make pinch pleat drapes for the living room, which faces a busy intersection. So for a year we have let our neighbors watch our tv from the street.
I searched and searched for an easy way to make these. I even considered pinching them by hand and clipping them from behind. A fake pinch pleat. There are lots out there in pinterest land. One night when my mom was here, I made it a priority to work on them. I don't sew anything without consulting her first. There was NO WAY she was going to let me do a fake anything. Her motto has always been if you are going to do it, do it right, do it once, and be done. I'd like to think I got this from her. I always end up doing this, but always research an easy way first, you know, just in case.

Then it was time for math. Measuring the windows, measuring the space, measuring the fabric. Writing out a plan with arrows and numbers and drawings. I wish I could tell you what all the measurements were, but honestly, I have no idea what I did with that paper. I can tell you that it takes 3 yards (54"wide) per panel for pinch pleat curtains for 8ft ceilings. The hard part was laying them out (which can only happen while littles are asleep). Ironed. Laid them out. Measured. Cut. I then ironed and laid out my lining (which was a white flat sheet). Measured and cut. Then I pinned. Each long side has a 1" fold over and then 1" again for sewing. The top is 1/2" and then 2". Bottom hem is 1/2" and then 3". All four sides got sewn (thanks mom!) She then sewed pinch pleat tape to the top. Right underneath the hem. I bought the 4 prong pinch pleat hooks and the hanging hardware.
Curtain is open
Curtain is closed.
There are all kinds of tutorials on you tube, they are going to be much better for you than anything I could write out! I know curtains are expensive and now I know why. My problem and the only reason I insist on making everything, is because I am a fabric lover. I can never find the print in the color way I want in the style I want. Whether it's chairs, curtains, or bed linens. When I went online to find more of this fabric to do my dining room, it was in the $20/yard range. I need 6 yards per window. No thanks. I did find some on Ebay for $220. They were rod pocket (just a straight seam) and not lined?!

Anyway, I absolutely love these curtains. I think they turned out perfect. My dining room is waiting for some as well but it's going to take awhile. First I have to decide on fabric (which needs to "go" with this rooms) and then they have to get made.
These just hit the floor.  They don't puddle and there isn't even room for a matchbox to go underneath!  Excuse the tree, I promise it got taken down.  December 27th to be exact!

2 comments:

  1. The curtains looks awesome. Good work.

    I was recently nominated for a Liebster Award and am now nominating you. Details on this post...

    http://alysonstoakley.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinch pleat curtains

    Find custom pinch pleat drapes and grommet curtains at Spiffy Spools. Read our drapery headings styles guide to choose the right look for your decor.

    to get more - https://www.spiffyspools.com/pages/curtain-headings-style-guide

    ReplyDelete