Thursday, January 12, 2012

Curtains!

The boys curtains went up, which seems like it took forever. However, it took me much longer to write this post! I shared the inspiration in this first post about their room.

First I knew I wanted white curtains. Then I found these:
Source via Pinterest
I have been using navy as an accent so I knew I wanted to use navy at the bottom and not red. And they would be hanging on a red wall. Curtains are from World Market. Found some navy fabric at JoAnns Fabric and my seamstress amazing mother, measured, cut and hemmed them!

Then I found this curtain rod
Source
So creative! Kind of nautical. Seemed so easy! Easy until I went to execute the design. Aunt Kelly and I went to Lowes to pick up all our plumbing supplies. Since we didn't have any directions, we were going off the picture and the grommet holes on the curtains. Things were going well until we picked up the rod itself. It weighed at least 10lbs (for the length of 2). We went and looked at anchors. Big, strong, massive wall anchors that were going to be strong enough to hold a four and two year old swinging on them! Then we asked an associate where the wall anchors were if there was another solution for the rod. He suggested electrical conduit. This was great because the rod was lighter and CHEAPER!! Woot!

And then we went to put them up. One of the elbows was missing some thread. Ugh....I have two small children and I was pregnant and now I was having to go back to Lowes at Christmas.....Ahhhhhh!! But I was so excited about these curtains and how they would look! I will say that hanging them was a lot more work than regular rods (heavier and they have to be done at once, not a braket at a time), they were about $30 for each window (about the same as a regular curtain rod) and curtains can not be washed as easily. You will have to take off the rod itself, unless you got curtains that tie. But I was worried that would not fit my look! Thanks to the hubs and his muscles for the hanging part of this project!

I think they look awesome, if I do say so myself!
Soon I'll get some shelves up and a final room reveal!! I know, I know, you can't wait! Believe me, I can't wait to have it done!

Other Boys room projects:
Inspiration
Nautical Flags
Artwork
A Dresser
A Dresser Reveal

No comments:

Post a Comment